February 2011 Reading Wrap-Up

March 1, 2011
tags:

Another month over, and things have remained slow on the reading front. Still focusing on the TBR books (as discussed here) and still reading some gems!

Books Read: 12
Pages Read: 1940
Hours Listened To: 8.5

Again, good compared to many but slow compared to my 2010 numbers. This month I finished (links go to my reviews):

Seven of the twelve were non-fiction so I’ve branched out a little bit from last month where I read almost all non-fiction. I also read two young adult books this month. And managed to fall behind on reviews. I really must try to catch up! And only one additional country from last month (Kenya) bringing my total up to eight for the year.

Another five Nigerian titles read this month. With falling behind on everything else I tend to read primarily the Nigerian lit I need to keep up my Friday posts. As I mentioned last month I’m trying to do Nigerian lit each Friday. I will try to keep it up – at the moment I have enough titles to last me until about mid August if I can keep it up! Some of the books are much longer though, so we shall see if I can do it. I will create a page for this project in the near future where I will explain the project and the books that I have on my shelf still to read – I would certainly welcome suggestions for further reading once I run out in mid August :)

As to the TBR Dare, ten of the twelve books that I read were on my shelf as of January 1st, 2011. The remaining two books were ones that arrived in early January from Christmas swaps. I’m still holding strong on avoiding purchasing new books. Two months down, one more to go!

This month I also posted about the Independent Literary Award winners, about reading slumps, about where you keep track of your wish list if you have one, and also had a bit of friendly debate about online library systems such as LibraryThing and GoodReads. Also, I made some changes to my blog this month!

1. March 1, 2011 8:08 am

still more than me amy lol ,a another great month ,all the best stu

2. March 1, 2011 9:47 am

Like Stu, you are reading way more than me. I’m looking forward to your review of Season of Migration to the North. It’s one of my favorite African books :). For Nigerian lit, I suggest (though I’m yet to read it) Bitter Leaf by Chioma Okereke. I also recommend the plays of Wole Soyinka, since that is the best way to read the Nobel Laureate. Also, please try and locate (the library will be best for this) any novel by Flora Nwapa. Her best book is Efuru. Also books by Zaynab Alkali. Alkali and Nwapa are among the first generation of Nigerian women writers. Habila published an earlier collection of short stories. I think the title is Waiting for an Angel.

• March 1, 2011 9:53 pm

I ve bittter leaf to read as we;; amy it looks very good ,all the best stu

• March 4, 2011 11:33 pm

Ah I’m finding it so hard to get my thoughts in order Kinna! Thank you so much for all of the suggestions, all books that I’d love to read at some point so I will move them up on my wish list. Habila’s Waiting for an Angel is definitely on my wish list too – his works are so fantastic.

3. March 1, 2011 10:15 am

You are still getting a lot more read than I am, and I totally applaud you for it! I will be interested in hearing how you do in March, seeing as it’s a longer month!

4. Ifi permalink
    March 1, 2011 10:18 am

Wow Amy, some heavy going material for February. Very impressive, but it was not my cup of tea this month. All too serious. The one that did catch my eye though, was Paden´s “Faith and Politics in Nigeria”. I think I need to read this one. I know all about the religious and political issues in Nigeria from experience but don´t know enough of the WHY this country is in the horrendous state it is in!! Also, thanks for the link about the rigging of the elections!!! Fantastic. My poor parents are already bracing themselves knowing the county will come to standstill and undergo riots for a few weeks during the upcoming elections.
    Also, congratulations on having stuck to you TBR pile!!! Really. It must be tough. 3o days to go!!

• March 4, 2011 11:35 pm

Yes, I did have some rather serious reads didn’t I… let’s see if I can have more fun in March Ifi :) Faith and Politics in Nigeria was interesting but may not teach you much. I’d be interested in your thoughts though… and wow, I loved that article as well! I do hope that things go better than that but it doesn’t seem super hopeful does it?

5. March 1, 2011 10:27 am

I’m impressed you’re doing so well on the TBR dare! I’ve been reading a lot form my TBR too, but I also got a lot of new books. Hmm :-)

6. March 1, 2011 11:39 am

Wow – what a great reading month for you!!! You should get extra points because it was a short month too. For some reason, I didn’t read nearly as much as I wanted to in the month of February! I’m hoping that March brings on a new attitude and I’ll jump right back into reading as many books as you did in February!!! :)

• March 4, 2011 11:37 pm

Thank you Reeder Reads! It did seem like a slow month, here is hoping we all have a fantastic March :D

7. March 1, 2011 3:18 pm

Looks like a great reading month for you! I wish I had your will to stop acquiring books for 3 months. You’re doing great so far!

• March 4, 2011 11:37 pm

Thank you Meghan :) Still not sure I’ll last a whole other month but we shall see… :S heh

8. March 1, 2011 9:24 pm

I love that you think 12 books is a slow month! I totally bombed with acquiring books this past week. I bought like eight… Bad me. I haven’t read them yet, but I am pretty darn sure I will be reading them during Spring Break next week.

• March 4, 2011 11:37 pm

Wow, congrats on getting new books Trisha, I’m awful jealous!!! And umm… quite a few of those books I read were really really short :D heh

9. March 2, 2011 6:06 am

Three times mine! no need to complain… lol. You are doing well. If all could read 12 in a year it would be a great world, don’t you think so? More reading in March.

• March 4, 2011 11:36 pm

Thank you Nana. Still impressive numbers I know, but I do miss reading more! I do wish that all people would read more though you are right :)

10. March 2, 2011 7:20 am

On my part, you are doing well and I am glad you’re reading more Achebe. I wish you the very best this month.

• March 4, 2011 11:35 pm

Thank you Geosi. Easy to read more of Achebe’s work. He is fantastic.

11. March 2, 2011 8:59 pm

Wow! You had an excellent month!