BEA 2011 Thursday and BBC 2011 Update

May 29, 2011

Thursday was the final day of Book Expo America and was much quieter than the preceding days. People were packing up their booths early, a number had left already, and attendees were also leaving early. I slept in a little bit (showed up around 9 instead of 6:30 as I had the past two days to pick up tickets for ticketed author signings) which was much-needed. When I showed up at the center I again just wandered around, spoke with some publishers and other bloggers, and just made connections. It was a great day for this as because it was quieter it was easier to talk for longer times without distractions.

Two more books on Thursday, Darkest Mercy by Melissa Marr and Shut Out by Kody Keplinger. I really loved The DUFF last year so cannot wait to read Keplinger’s latest. Not pictured because I received it later in the evening is Brian H. Peterson‘s The Blossoming of the World : Essays and Images.

BEA Update 3 img 1After the convention was over we had the Book Blogger Convention Reception. I plunked myself down at a big round table in the back to rest my feet and had a great time just chatting with everyone who came by! From there I had a bit of a break before joining some other bloggers for a quick supper and then heading to Serendipity 3 for the JKS Communications Sweet Get Together. I absolutely love the people at JKS and I absolutely love Serendipity, so it was a really great combination.

BEA Update 3 img 2Friday was the Book Blogger Convention and wow what a day that was! I was super bad and didn’t take notes so my recap might not be quite as good. I also met a TON of fantastic bloggers that I knew from online and that I didn’t and I am going to have to go through the business cards to remember everyone (I’m sorry, my brain is crashing right now) but I will try to remember to come back and update you all on that!

The day started with some breakfast, and then we had a truly fantastic opening key-note speech from Sara Wendell from Smart Bitches, Trashy Books. She was absolutely fan-freakin-tastic. I can’t even tell you how much I loved her and her talk, loved everything that she said about blogging and just wanted to start immediately reading her site. So do it. Now. That is all.

BEA Update 3 img 4

The suitcase packed to go home - slightly more full, but it all fits!

I next went to the panel Practical Challenges of Book Blogging. In this panel the panelists spoke about the tbr piles, time management, scheduling, review timelines, and more. Some of what they discussed related to what we discussed later in the panel I was in (negative reviews, commitments and obligations, for example) and so it was interesting to hear their opinions. I loved the fact that panel members all had different ideas and solutions for different issues, I definitely think I left with at least an understanding that everyone is facing similar issues with time management!

After lunch was the panel that I was a part of, Navigating the Gray Areas of Book Blogging moderated by Heather Johnson of Age 30+ A Lifetime of Books who may just be the best moderator around. Also on the panel were the best co-panelists (obviously) Pam Coughlan of Mother Reader, Candace Levy of Beth Fish Reads, Bethanne Patrick of The Book Studio, and Kathleen Schmidt of A Bookish Broad. As you can tell I’m finding it hard to be objective about this panel ;) I really enjoyed the experience (though I was both losing my voice and so drinking lots of hot water and was shaking like crazy from nerves) and loved the different opinions that we had. We talked about blogger/author relationships, obligations and disclosure, negative reviews, and more. Definitely had a ton of fun with it. I’m sure others will talk about it so I will leave it to them, and hope that the pictures aren’t too scary!

After the session we were kept late with questions and comments and discussions and so I missed most of the last panel,  though I did stop by Blogging for a Niche Market to hear some of what they had to say. I missed most of the panel discussion but got to sit in on the question and answer portion which was interesting as it was separated out and just sitting around chatting in small groups.

I had a really fantastic time at both Book Expo America and at the Book Blogger Convention and am so happy that I got to meet so many great bloggers, publishers, publicists, authors, and more. Most especially the bloggers though. There were so many bloggers I was hoping to see and didn’t, so hopefully next year. To all of those who came and said hi, thank you!

————————————————————————————————-

At the end of the day I ended up skipping the party I was looking forward to in order to attend this protest against the two police offers acquitted of all charges of raping a woman in her apartment in NYC. You can read more about the protest at Feministing, and about the issue and news coverage of the case at Feministing and the New York Times. The victim blaming in this case was horrific (though not out of the ordinary) and really highlights the extreme rape culture we live in. I know most people are busy and it’s not important to them but the issue is very relevant and important to me so please, if you can, take a moment to sign the petition to get more sexual assault training for police officers. This was the first protest I’d ever attended but I am really glad that I went.

BEA Update 3 img 3
Sign says “Rape: the only crime where the VICTIM becomes the ACCUSED.”

Updated to add: Feministing has a really great update on the situation, please do check it out.

1. May 29, 2011 9:00 am

Oh, I wish I had been there for all the excitement, and gotten the chance to meet you as well! It sounds like you had the best time, and I am so glad that you got the chance to meet so many great authors, bloggers, and publicists. Will you be there next year?

• May 31, 2011 9:57 pm

I sure hope I will be there next year zibilee! I am planning on going anyway – will you?

2. May 29, 2011 10:19 am

I’m glad you had such a fantastic time, and must confess to being not a little jealous! I have been a huge fan of Smart Bitches, Trashy Books for a while now and I’m glad more people are going to head there soon! I’m crossing my fingers that I will be able to go to BEA/BBC next year – I hope you’ll be going again!

• May 31, 2011 9:58 pm

I hope you can go next year too Meghan! I am definitely planning on being there – it is easier for me though with the points for the flight and hotel from my work travel.

3. May 29, 2011 10:54 am

Wow I had no idea that protest was going on! I’m really impressed you went to it. I think I saw something about it on Feministing but didn’t read the whole thing.

It was really great to meet you last week! I’m glad Kim introduced us because you are pretty fantastic. And if it makes you feel any better I thought you came off totally polished during your panel.

• May 31, 2011 9:58 pm

Thank you Ash! I’m so glad to have met you in person as well – I had a great time with you! And thank you for the kind words about the panel too :)

4. May 29, 2011 11:14 am

I am so sad I missed BEA/BBC this year. It sounds like you all had a great time and found/picked up some great reads.

That rape case is just devastating isn’t it?

• May 31, 2011 9:59 pm

It really is Trisha. And I’m sad that you missed this year too.

5. May 29, 2011 11:29 am

It was interesting to read about the protest that you participated in, Amy. It is really sad what the police officers were alleged to have done. If people who are supposed to prevent crime indulge in it themselves, then is there any hope?

• May 31, 2011 10:00 pm

Definitely sad Vishy, and something that more people need to know about.

6. May 29, 2011 3:18 pm

Thanks for sharing a recap of BBC, as I wasn’t able to make it. The panels sound great, so hoping there will be in depth synopsis somewhere. So glad you had a great time, as I loved taking part in BEA!

• May 31, 2011 10:00 pm

I am hoping for the same Alexia561 :) I can hardly remember my own panel from the nerves, embarrassing to admit!

7. May 29, 2011 4:30 pm

Great recap! I totally agree with you on the awesomeness of Sara Wendell! I wish I could have been at the Navigating panel too but was in the other room Speed Dating at the time which was also a lot of fun.
    It was hard to choose as everything sounded so wonderful!

I think it is awesome you went to the protest, when you ans I spoke I was unfamiliar with this happening and am glad that you were able to go and show support.

• May 31, 2011 10:03 pm

Tsk tsk to skipping the panel Sheila ;) JOKING OBVIOUSLY! lol. And yes, it really was hard to choose. And thanks :)

• June 2, 2011 10:09 am

It would be nice if they could record somehow the panels so we could download them once we were home to see what we missed…. (I know I know… I ask for so much!) :)

• June 2, 2011 9:55 pm

Yes that would be fantastic Sheila! It would also help me actually remember what we talked about ;) LOL

8. May 29, 2011 8:02 pm

It was really wonderful to spend time with you on Thursday afternoon and Friday. I really enjoyed your take on things during the Gray Areas panel. You didn’t look or sound the least bit nervous up there!

Thanks for going to the protest. There are so many causes and issues that are important. Since I can’t focus on them all, I am so grateful to people who do pay attention to the issues that I don’t as much.

• May 31, 2011 10:04 pm

Joy it was really great to spend time with you as well! Loved meeting you. And thank you so much for the kind words both about the panel and the protest.

9. May 29, 2011 8:26 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed BEA and BBC! I hope you go again next year so we can meet up!

10. May 30, 2011 12:16 am

Sounds like you had an amazing time, again! I admire your self-control. Looks like you did an excellent job of selecting just a few books you know you’ll enjoy reading, from all the many ARCs available. As to the rape case . . . I had not heard about that and I’m horrified. I’ve just signed the petition. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

• May 31, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks Nancy. Knowing you have to fit the books into the suitcase makes for really good self-control. Also I didn’t want to get anything I wouldn’t definitely read. I felt so guilty with all the books last year. Bleh. And I’m glad I could bring it to your attention – I felt very grateful to be around to lend my voice to the protest.

11. May 30, 2011 9:08 am

I see you had a great time, All best!

12. May 30, 2011 1:52 pm

Very jealous – of BEA/BBC, and also of going to that protest. I can only imagine that the vibe in the crowd had to have been really rowdy and supportive and feminist-friendly.

13. May 31, 2011 8:34 am

I’m glad you made time to go to the protest even though you missed having dinner with us – some things are simply more important.

You did a great job on the panel. Hopefully we’ll see each other again next year!

14. May 31, 2011 2:36 pm

GREAT recap! Wish I could’ve been there to meet you and others and take part in viewing those fabulous panels!

15. June 1, 2011 2:35 pm

I liked Friday the best – the other days were overwhelming and not what I expected, so I really enjoyed interacting with other bloggers. I attended the panel you were on – fun! You’re right, Heather is a great moderator!

• June 1, 2011 6:01 pm

Yes Friday was the best, I agree. And I’m glad you attended :)

16. June 1, 2011 11:51 pm

Such a pleasure meeting you and chatting with you at BBC! I loved your perspective on many parts of our panel discussion – and our own discussion to prepare for our panel discussion. You were wonderful up there and seemed perfectly comfortable. Great job!

• June 2, 2011 6:10 am

Thank you so much Pam – It was definitely a pleasure for me as well, our chat especially was really great. Hope to see you again!

17. June 3, 2011 12:44 pm

Sorry you missed dinner with us, but so glad to have been on the panel with you.

• June 4, 2011 11:13 pm

Thank you Beth F, it was my pleasure :) Hopefully we can do dinner another time!

1. May 2011 Reading Wrap-Up « Amy Reads