BAND – Bloggers’ Alliance of Nonfiction Devotees Launches TODAY!

July 11, 2011

At Book Expo America this year a fantastic idea was born. After a discussion about the joys of nonfiction and how we wish more people appreciated it and loved it… BAND was born! Today we officially launch the site and invite any other nonfiction lovers to join.

BAND stands for the Bloggers’ Alliance of Nonfiction Devotees.

Our tag line reads ‘Advocates for nonfiction as a non-chore’.

As you probably know, I really love nonfiction. I not only love nonfiction but I love the random topics and collections of facts that come from the non-narrative nonfiction. I LOVE this idea and am really excited to work with it and hope that I can pass on my love of nonfiction to others.

We’ve set up a Tumblr account where we list more information and the About page has a link where you can join in. Each month a nonfiction lover will host a discussion topic and link to it on the Tumblr. Everyone will then be welcome to respond and participate on their own sites, submitting their links centrally for everyone to check out. If you are interested in hosting that information can also be found on the site.

The BAND idea came originally from Kim of Sophisticated Dorkiness (I like to refer to her as ‘Our Illustrious Foundress’). Cass of Bonjour, Cass! can be credited with the clever title (BAND), also involved were Ash of English Major’s Junk Food with the tag line and the fantastic graphics, and Anastasia of Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog, Joy of Joy’s Book Blog, and Kit of Books are my Boyfriend. Oh and me, as I’m sure you can guess from my post :)

Do pop over and check it out. I hope that you will decide to join us!

1. July 11, 2011 8:54 am

I am hopping there. My readings of non-fiction is highly limited. I would decide on participating

• July 13, 2011 12:27 pm

I hope that you do choose to participate occasionally Nana :)

2. July 11, 2011 9:39 am

This sounds great!! I’m not a huge fan of nonfiction but I wish that I was! It looks like a great resource for students too!

3. July 11, 2011 9:47 am

I love nonfiction, but am a little picky about what I read. Usually I will read anything about science and nature, but I have been known to read other things as well. I am going to have to check this out! Thanks for sharing, Amy!

• July 13, 2011 12:27 pm

You are very welcome zibilee, I find the nonfiction you read so interesting!

4. July 11, 2011 10:29 am

This sounds pretty awesome! I am going to check it out.

5. July 11, 2011 4:48 pm

ohhhh! This sounds wonderful! One of my fav genres which I’ve hardly read a word of in the past year because of all the review books I’ve been getting. Maybe this can be my excuse to pick one of the lovely non-fictions currently mildewing on my shelves.

6. July 11, 2011 7:34 pm

This is so cool. I really enjoy nonfiction, so I’m on board. Let me check it out.

7. July 11, 2011 11:07 pm

This sounds REALLY cool ! Can’t wait to check it out !!

• July 13, 2011 12:28 pm

Glad you’re interested maphead! You are definitely a nonfiction reader I know :)

8. July 11, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi Kim’s post about BAND led me to venture over here – I can’t believe I haven’t ventured over to your blog before — its fantastic!

I used to avoid nonfiction, but once i started reading it, I discovered that I love it. It presents a fabulous opportunity to learn something new. I love that when delving into nonfiction, I feel like I am back in school (and if I had it my way, I would stay in school forever!). I will definitely be a fan and participate of BAND.

• July 13, 2011 12:29 pm

Thank you so much Jennifer, both for the visit and comment and for the kind words. I’m so glad to hear that you enjoy nonfiction and BAND! Hope to see more of you :)

9. July 12, 2011 7:31 am

Well, if this does not encourage me to read nonfiction, nothing might. Thanks for the initiative :).

10. July 12, 2011 8:43 am

A truly fantastic idea! I’ve already “followed” on Tumblr.

11. July 12, 2011 10:04 am

I’m following on tumblr, though I doubt my non-fiction reading will go up until I finsih my studies. I’m already staring at books I’d like to read when that happens :)

• July 13, 2011 12:31 pm

School does get in the way of reading it is true Iris! Good luck!

12. July 12, 2011 2:39 pm

This is wonderful, Amy! Thanks for starting this initiative! I will think of joining. I read nonfiction once in a while, but the stuff I read is very different from what you read – on science and sport and essays and history and VSIs (very short introductions). But reading your nonfiction reviews has broadened my horizon quite a bit. Looking forward to some wonderful discussions!

• July 12, 2011 2:41 pm

I forgot to ask one thing. What is non-narrative nonfiction? I have heard of narrative nonfiction, but non-narrative nonfiction is something new to me.

• July 13, 2011 12:32 pm

Hey any and all nonfiction is great I think Vishy! And I tend to say non-narrative nonfiction to mean everything but the narrative stuff that most people read ;) Leaves it quite broad I know!

• July 14, 2011 2:29 pm

That is an interesting definition, Amy :) Makes me remember ‘A’ and ‘A Complement’ that we learnt in set theory during mathematics class in school :)

13. July 13, 2011 9:14 am

Brilliant idea! although I’ve not been reading much non-fiction. Maybe, I may have to.

• July 13, 2011 12:32 pm

Hopefully this will convince you to read one or two titles Geosi :)

14. July 13, 2011 9:34 am

I do really enjoy nonfiction even if I don’t read it as often as I’d like to. I will definitely be following BAND. What a brilliant idea!

15. July 13, 2011 7:32 pm

sounds like a great idea! i love reading memoirs and non fiction and i’m glad to see more people are expressing their love for nonfiction.

• July 22, 2011 11:37 am

Yay so glad you’re interested toothy! :D The more the merrier I think!

16. July 16, 2011 2:31 pm

sounds like a good idea ,i m not a huge non fiction reader so hope to gather some tips ,all the best stu

1. It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? | Joy's Book Blog