BAND October 2011: Nonfiction Anthologies

October 26, 2011
tags: ,

B.A.N.D., Bloggers’ Alliance of Nonfiction Devotees, launched in July and is being run by a small group of bloggers as a way to promote the love of nonfiction amount bloggers. Each month a discussion question will be put forward giving everyone and anyone the chance to respond. If you are interested in hosting a month do check out the tumblr site and let us know!

Kim of Sophisticated Dorkiness hosted the first discussion, asking What’s your favorite type of nonfiction? in July. In August I led the discussion, asking How did you get into nonfiction? In September Cass wanted to know about nonfiction audiobooks, asking if we had listened and enjoyed. This month Ash wants to know (her post here):

What are your favorite nonfiction anthologies?

I haven’t read any of the anthologies that Ash highlights, and don’t actually read many anthologies period. After reading Ash’s post I’m starting to think that I would enjoy them and should read them more. I like how she points out that they are a great way to find new writers. I’ve only recently started to read more short story collections and am enjoying them, and finding great  new authors to follow, so I imagine nonfiction anthologies would do the same.

One set of anthologies which I have read is called Dropped Threads and is edited by Canadian authors Carol Shields and Marjorie Anderson. There are three books in the collection: Dropped Threads: What We Aren’t Told, Dropped Threads 2: More of What We Aren’t Told, and Dropped Threads 3: Beyond the Small Circle. These are three collections of essays by women of all walks of life that talk about things they wish they had been told, things they don’t think are discussed enough, and just generally full of wisdom and experience. These books weren’t anthologies that made me go purchase more by the authors, but I suppose you could say, really, that these were some of the first feminist or women’s studies works I ever read.

What about you – Have you read any nonfiction anthologies before?

1. October 26, 2011 9:23 am

I really like the Dropped Threads books, too. I have never read the third one, though…

• October 30, 2011 8:53 am

So glad to hear you liked them as well Kailana! I seem to remember not loving the third as much, but still a good read.

2. October 26, 2011 10:55 am

My non-fiction anthologies have tended to be collections based on things I love or aspire to do. I enjoy the Traveler’s Tales Best Women’s Travel Writing collections, along with Best Food Writing. I will have to take a look at Dropped Threads.

• October 30, 2011 8:53 am

Ooohhh that is really interesting as well Kristi. I love travelling so really should check out that collection!

3. October 26, 2011 11:34 am

I don’t think I have ever read a nonfiction anthology before, but I really do need to! I have read lots of different types of nonfiction, but never this type. I do have a Best Food Writing book that I could probably start with!

• October 30, 2011 8:54 am

What good timing that you even have one already zibilee! I hope you enjoy it!

4. RogueAnthropologist permalink
    October 26, 2011 2:33 pm

Oh those anthologies sound great! I looked for the September discussion to participate last month but it never appeared on the tumblr site…am I missing something

• October 30, 2011 8:55 am

Ahh I think that step got missed, so sorry RogueAnthrlopogist. I’ve sent out a reminder to the other hosts to please remember as not everyone even follows any of us. I hope from now on they will all get posted.

5. Ardene permalink
    October 27, 2011 4:07 pm

Dropped threads sound very interesting. I like the “Best American Essays” that is published annually, though I don’t get it read every year . . .

• October 30, 2011 8:55 am

Always hard with those annual collections I find, Ardene. I want to own them all but never get around to reading them all… though I’ve never read this one before I’ve heard a lot about it. Must check it out some day!

6. October 30, 2011 6:08 pm

I like some football antholgies ,collection of writings on football I got a while ago tom watts compiled it hes wrote a number of football books ,all the best stu

• October 30, 2011 9:28 pm

That sounds interesting Stu – did you review it on your blog? It sounds familiar!

7. November 2, 2011 2:08 pm

The Dropped Threads series sound like great books. I think I’d really enjoy them. Glad I got you thinking about trying new anthologies!

1. October Reading Wrap-Up « Amy Reads
  2. BAND Read and Approved Must Read Nonfiction Anthologies | English Major's Junk Food
  3. BAND November 2011: Reading for a Cause « Amy Reads