November 2011 Reading Wrap-Up

December 1, 2011

Books Read: 16
Pages Read: 4326
Hours Listened To: 0

Books read:

Another rather crazy month of travel for work. I started the month in Mississippi and then had a mini weekend vacation with Alix in New Orleans before having my mother visit me for a few days in Toronto. I then had one long trip spanning Hay River, Northwest Territories and -30 degree Celsius weather to work in Aruba and vacation in Venezuela and +30 degree Celsius weather. Needless to say I’ve been dragging around a large and heavy suitcase. With the recent few days in Venezuela I’ve now managed to visit five continents in my 25th year, and actually within the span of three months which is rather crazy. But also fun!

In addition to what reading and reviewing I did this week (and I did read more despite all the travel mostly because you don’t really want to spend time outside when it is -30…!) I posted for our BAND topic and Amanda and I hosted two more of our The Real Help reads (Like One of the Family and Out of the House of Bondage). I was also able to participate in Kinna’s Ghanaian Literature week (intro and wrap-up). As part of the celebration she hosted a twitter chat with author Nii Ayikwei Parkes which I highly recommend you check out¬†as there were a lot of interesting topics discussed.

All through my life I’ve considered myself not to be a huge fan of short stories. While I occasionally would read one or two, or a collection, I didn’t really enjoy them. This month I finally admitted to myself how much I seem to love them. How it took me this long to figure it out, I’m not sure, but I’m glad that I finally have. A number of my reads this month were short stories and generally I really enjoyed them. This doesn’t, of course, mean that I enjoy all short stories but it does make me want to search out more – I think a good editor is the real key, as well as ensuring that I like the theme behind the collection. Thanks to Kinna for convincing me to read more of them!

I’ve booked a ticket home for the holidays though I may have to cancel it yet depending on the work schedule(everything has been rather last-minute lately with work) but I am hopeful I will get a Christmas dinner wherever I end up, even if I am cooking it myself. I hope that everyone else has plans for the holiday season and end of year festivities and enjoys the month. Here’s to more happy reading and the wrap-up of fun challenges and projects people have been involved with through the year.

1. December 1, 2011 9:59 am

You are indeed amazing. The few times I travelled in November, my reading suffered though when I got into bed I was able to put a lot of pages behind me. But it wasn’t that often. I found that Hotel rooms are good places to read. Whilst in the air, I hardly read.

this month has seen a low downturn in my reads. The good thing is never giving up no matter how busy one is. That would take the interest away.

You really do inspire me.

• December 3, 2011 10:07 am

I think it depends too on where you go, some places are more exciting and thus I read less Nana :) That being said, I read a ton in the air so we differ there. I’m glad that you’ll never give up, I can’t either!

2. December 1, 2011 1:31 pm

I really need to get back to reading. November was a terrible reading month. I am hoping this month will go better!

• December 3, 2011 10:07 am

Good luck Kailana, I hope that the holidays give you more time.

3. December 1, 2011 3:56 pm

You had a pretty good reading month, what with all the travel and other obligations that you had going on. I do so hope that you are able to keep your plans for Christmas, but if you are ever in need of somewhere to go, you are always welcome around my table!

• December 3, 2011 10:08 am

Yes it was another great month zibilee, I hope yours was as well. Also, thank you so much for the offer! I hope I’m in your area at some point to take you up on it :)

4. December 3, 2011 2:28 am

As ever, I am dazzled by the sheer number of books you get through! I have yet to discover a love for short stories, but I am trying x

• December 3, 2011 10:09 am

Thank you Sarah, sometimes I wonder how I read them all myself, haha. If you are working on a love of short stories I really must recommend African Love Stories by Ama Ata Aidoo. That story just sealed it for me!

5. December 4, 2011 3:42 pm

another great month Amy I ll be resetting as I lost count earlier in year next month back to zero ,all the best stu

• December 5, 2011 9:26 am

That makes sense Stu, must feel a bit liberating not to be tied to numbers :)

6. December 5, 2011 2:23 pm

Another good reading month and I’m glad that it coincided with Ghana Lit Week :)

• December 5, 2011 2:48 pm

Yes, I am also glad that I ended up with reading time Kinna! Thankfully the whole week I was in a small town and it was about -30 outside, so I was NOT leaving the cozy apartment for any reason! Lots of reading was accomplished :)