February 2012 Reading Wrap-Up

Books Read: 10
Pages Read: 2599
Hours Listened To: 0

Books read:

• Feminism is for Everybody – hooks, bell
  • Well with my Soul – Allen, Gregory
  • Transparent: Love, Family, and Living the T with Transgender Teenagers – Beam, Cris
  • Whose Bible Is It? A History of the Scriptures Through the Ages –  Pelikan, Jaroslav
  • Huntress – Lo, Malinda
  • Swimming to Chicago – Barnes, David-Matthew
  • Places Far from Ellesmere – van Herk, Aritha
  • The Abandoned Baobab – Bugul, Ken
  • In Our Control: The Complete Guide to Contraceptive Choices for Women – Eldridge, Laura
  • Songs for the New Depression – Kergan, Edwards-Stout

Bloggers (and other online friends) visited: Amanda, Cass, KG, Alix - ALSO I realized that last month I forgot to list two blogging friends whom I love dearly. The issue is that I forget that I know them originally through blogging! They are my friends and neighbours Rhiannon and Trish.
Places visited through reading: Canada, Senegal, USA
Places visited irl:
 Aruba, Boston, Las Vegas, Ohio

Book Purchases: This month I made a number of book purchases. I had to buy two of the books for the Indie Lit Award shortlist reading (Swimming to Chicago and Huntress – both were $9.99 on Kindle) and I additionally used gift cards to purchase six of the Year of Feminist Classics books I was missing, costing a total of $5.25 over the cost of my gift cards. I drooled a lot in Las Vegas over a signed and inscribed first edition copy of Wicked by Gregory Maguire, but managed to stay away. The price helped ;) Other than that, still going strong with my buying ban (the YoFC and Indie Lit purchases are the allowable exceptions).

Boston

Wandering around Boston with KG

Thoughts and ramblings: Another crazy busy month where my reading and blogging suffered, though I’m starting to think that perhaps this is just my new reading and blogging habits. Instead of 20 odd books a month and posting daily, perhaps these days I can’t hope for more than 10 reads in a good month, and posting a couple of times a week at max. I guess the rest of the year will tell! Trying the whole having a life and dating clearly takes away from reading time too.

In terms of the books that I’ve been reading, the stats are still staying around where I want them to, which is pretty cool given that I’m mostly trying to just read off my shelves! Still reading a good amount of non-fiction, GLBTQ literature, authors of color, and international works, and loving them (for the most part). I’ve read some truly fantastic books this year (In Our Control, for example), but there have also been instances of seriously wanting to rip pages out of a book and burn it. I managed to avoid going to that extreme, but let’s just say that when reviews come, there will be some less than stellar ones.

Egypt in Vegas

In preparation for Egypt trip in March I had to visit Luxor casino in Las Vegas ;) Similar right?

On the blog I posted a few reviews (mostly of books I read in January), and really mostly just neglected it. I do apologize and I thank you all for sticking around despite my lack of posting! While I realize that there is nothing wrong with posting less frequently, it is just a change I haven’t yet adjusted to given that I used to have so much to say! This month I did also have an article posted on Nigerians Talk about my experiences reading Nigerian literature – I was nervous to write for such an established outlet but am really glad I took the chance, as I had a lot of fun!

March should be just as busy, but I’m looking forward to vacation and seeing Carina again. I also will get two full weeks at home (unless things change), so will hopefully get a bit more caught up on reviews and scheduled posts, as well as on emails and just catching up in general.

I hope that everyone else also had a great February, and that we all get a bit more time to relax and breathe in March.

1. March 3, 2012 9:04 am

You are so busy! You need to squeeze in another trip to South Carolina!

• March 4, 2012 1:04 pm

I was supposed to head there in February but then they pushed the trip out and sent me to Ohio instead Kathy :( I am hoping it will come back into my schedule in the coming months!

2. March 3, 2012 11:01 am

It seems like you just have so much going on, but it’s great that you are getting out and meeting people and having fun, so it all evens out. I am impressed that you have managed to buy so few books, when I haven’t done that well with that particular venture this year! I hope that one day you are able to head down closer to me for a visit. It would be so cool to talk books with you!

• March 4, 2012 1:05 pm

Yes I always love meeting more people zibilee, though it doesn’t always turn out as well as I would hope. hah. And yes, I hope to meet you too! And yes, surprising I’ve done so well and hoping that it lasts :) And that I can meet you some day!!

3. March 3, 2012 10:49 pm

Busy times for you, for sure: amazing you still fit in all the reading that you do squeeze into your days! Your February list reminds me that I should re-visit Aritha van Herk…it’s been awhile. (The Tent Peg, Judith…)

• March 4, 2012 1:05 pm

I’ve not read anything else by her but will after this one. SUCH a great read BIP! And yes, lots of airplane time to read :)

4. March 4, 2012 12:04 am

All that fun, and you STILL read more books than I did. Well done!

5. March 6, 2012 10:40 am

I’ve had a few “wanting to rip the pages out and burn them” moments, lately. I don’t typically mention those because I just move on to something I love, but have you read Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell? After reading about the sociopath who stole money from his brother so he could go brutally rape a prostitute and Orwell’s reaction (something to the effect of, “This is just an example of the kind of people I was living with in that building” — no comment about the pure evil of what the man bragged about), I was so upset I wanted to throw the whole book on the fire, even though it wasn’t something Orwell did, just something he overheard. I just wanted him to *say*, “This was wrong. The man should rot in jail.”

• March 10, 2012 4:48 pm

Heh, it’s unfortunate getting those isn’t it Nancy?? And umm… yeahh… that book sounds frustrating to say the least!

6. March 6, 2012 9:43 pm

I think sometimes life comes along and we just have to accept that our reading lives change a little bit. I started to read a lot more after i got done with school, but have been reading a lot less since I started my new job. You’ll get used to a new routine soon!

7. March 7, 2012 1:13 pm

my problem is I read around my work so when I m off like I am at moment I tend to read less as I m so us to read at certain times I read less but I onlky work 38 hours a week so it suits my reading ,all the best stu