BAND April 2012: Quirky Reading

April 24, 2012

B.A.N.D., Bloggers’ Alliance of Nonfiction Devotees, launched in July and is being run by a small group of bloggers as a way to promote the love of nonfiction amount bloggers. Each month a discussion question will be put forward giving everyone and anyone the chance to respond. If you are interested in hosting a month do check out the tumblr site and let us know!

What are your favorite quirky titles and authors?

I suppose if you’ve been following my site for any length of time you have likely realized that my reading tastes are definitely quirky. To prove my point, some of the last books I’ve read include a book on grammar, a book about a coup attempt in Equatorial Guinea, a memoir by a woman who was in the forefront of the abortion wars in the USA, a book about reading and other books, and a book about finding love through arranged marriage networks. I am too interested in random topics and this means that my reading is constantly changing and almost always covers a large variety of topics.

I am not sure I could pick a favourite… either in terms of topic or author. The topics I read on I usually feel are important rather than quirky, so it is hard for me to list them. A couple more “quirkier” books that I’ve read this year include: In Our Control, a book about contraceptives; Unruly Women, a book about women and incarceration; Black Berry, Sweet Juice, a book about growing up bi-racial (black and white) in Canada, and; The Glamour of Grammar, a book all about grammar.

What is the quirkiest title you’ve read this year?

1. April 24, 2012 9:36 am

Quirky is definitely a word that must be personally defined. I would also suggest that you tend to read powerful important subjects that have much meaning to you. For that, I am always impressed and learn a lot from your insights when you share a review. Thank you!

• April 25, 2012 4:13 pm

Thanks so much Care :) I do have to admit that the topics and titles can be rather quirky. heh

2. April 24, 2012 12:51 pm

The quirkiest nonfiction read I have come across in a long time was called Never Suck a ead Man’s Hand. Very interesting book!

3. buriedinprint permalink
    April 25, 2012 5:25 pm

I’ll be interested to read your thoughts on Lawrence Hill’s memoir; I’ve been meaning to get to that for awhile! The variety just keeps the reading stack interesting, right? I chalk it up to a hearty helping of curiosity about the world…

• April 27, 2012 10:35 am

It was a really great read BIP, you would like it I’m sure. And yes, a lot of curiosity about the world! Speaking of which – are you attending any of the Hot Docs screenings? :)

4. softdrink permalink
    April 25, 2012 10:14 pm

I haven’t read any of her books this year (yet), but one of my favorite quirky book authors is Mary Roach. Stiff, Packing for Mars, Bonk…

• April 27, 2012 10:35 am

I have heard a lot of great things about her softdrink, but have yet to read anything. I should get on that!

5. April 28, 2012 5:06 pm

I’ve always loved how quirky your reading tastes are. I learn so much from reading your reviews.

1. BAND May 2012: Nonfiction I Hate to Admit I Enjoy « Amy Reads