About / Review Policy
I am a twenty-something bibliophile who is addicted to reading and discussing books. I read an eclectic mix of fiction and non-fiction and love to promote African (especially Nigerian) and GLBTQ literature. Amy Reads was started on January 1st, 2010, and has been growing ever since. I am also honored to have been invited to be a panelist at the 2011 Book Blogger Convention. Originally from Prince Edward Island, I am now based in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and in my more official life I travel around North America and work for a software company… and get lots of time sitting in airplanes and hotels to do my reading!
Projects I am involved with:
- I am now a co-host of A Year of Feminist Classics where Ana, Emily Jane, Iris and I lead monthly discussions of a feminist classic.
- I am also a panelist for the Independent Literary Awards GLBTQ category and am participating in a read-a-long of GLBTQ literature with Cass.
- If you are a Toronto area book blogger, check out our facebook group for the Toronto Area Book Bloggers. I am organizing a group where we can connect and share literary events and invites as well as plan occasional group events.
- Amanda and I are hosting discussions of the books recommended by the Association of Black Women Historians as alternatives to The Help.
- I’m really excited to be participating in the African Reading Challenge this year, hosted by Kinna Reads.
I am active on both BookMooch and LibraryThing and welcome friends and comments on both. If you have any questions or comments about books, reviews, blogging, or anything else, send me an email at amy[dot]mckie[AT]gmail[dot]com, or add me on twitter at @amckiereads – I’d love to chat!
Find me elsewhere…. Torontoist Litblog Spotlight, Scene of the Blog by Kittling Books, Reading Roots on Reading Through Life, Buy Books for the Holidays: Nigerian Lit or Books on the Salem Witch Trials, a panelist at the 2011 Book Blogger Convention, Canada Reads 2012 Blogger Recommendations.
I try to write reviews as I read books but that doesn’t always happen. I have an eReader (a Kindle) and also use Kindle for PC and Kindle for iPhone from time to time. I have also recently started listening to audio books. Lately I am completely swamped with real life and the paid job, so am accepting almost no review requests at this time. I may start accepting again in the future but will update my page to reflect that change at that time.
Please ASK FIRST for any review requests (and please only for books that fall within my stated interests). My interests include:
- Non-fiction on topics of women or gender studies, sexuality, current events (international and political), or international relations.
- Fiction that is translated or by authors from other countries, or GLBTQ literature.
- Young adult that deals with difficult and important topics, especially GLBTQ or gender relations. (I accept very little young adult literature, it has to be spectacular for me to do so.)
If you have a book that you would like me to review, and it falls within my stated interests above, feel free to e-mail me at amy[dot]mckie[at]gmail[dot]com. If the email is clearly a form letter not even addressed to me, or if the book does not fall within my stated interests above, I may not respond to the email request. I’ve been getting too many that are clearly in no way targeted to my interests and in order to have time for other things I’ve had to implement this new policy.
Please note that I will always give an honest and fair review which may or may not be positive. If I did not like a book I will say so, but will also include reasons why. I reserve the right to not provide a review of a book if I get part way through it and can’t continue. At that point I will offer to either send the book back, give it away to another reader on my site, or donate it.